I listened as they spoke. As a back seat passenger, I wanted to hear it all. Whatever was under discussion, I wanted to know. The passengers in the front seats were very knowledgable, interesting people and family,too. As I listened I began to smile.
A new kid on the block from the company of one of the front seat people, an IT employee, had been trying to connect with a colleague in another department of said company. It was very important. Emails and texts had failed. As this individual spoke of his desire to reach her, another senior employee had walked into the room and remarked, “Why don't you go to the forth floor. She is there working. Quick and Easy!
I laughed at the obvious. Has the digital age replaced common sense? Interpersonal skills seem to be lacking, somewhat. Then we have the “You can never meet a decent guy in a bar. Momsey did and we were together for over 50 years. (I was a cocktail waitress while a student at Toronto's Ontario College of Ed.) There was no such thing as a dating APP or cell phone. There was the landline and society still managed to connect and marry, too. And the phones did not ring non-stop.
Emails and texting rule today but once upon a time, letters and postcards arrived by snail mail, the premiere method of communicating, employing thousands of people who touch the world, daily, via daily delivery of paper and packages. Things change but why discard people in the process and ridicule their choices?
Scrolling the screens of all the digital gadgets is o.k. But reading a book, magazine or other print media are so last year. Who decides what's in or out? Everything has its place. Just choose yours and be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment