Simplifying the kitchen routine makes me happy while streamlining the dessert trail. Main courses are easy. Number one for me is the cookie list. Such a necessity when something small and sweet are desired but the time and effort are not desired for that perfect ending.
When homemade cookie dough or cookie mix are made I immediately turn the results into cookie balls ready for freezing. Freshly baked cookies can result anytime -in the air fryer. Momsey has done this many times. Three or four cookies can spice up a brunch, lunch or late night dinner. No need to bake batches of cookie when the desire is only for 2 or 3. How lovely it is to serve any cookie fresh out of the oven. Air fryer to the rescue. Dessert is nearby any time. (The newest Phillips oven rules my kingdom. It has a patented technology for baking, frying which is the reason this model was purchased.They're tops)
I peeled a large sweet potato, sliced it into sticks then brushed on olive oil with a light dusting of course salt (iodized course salt reduces sodium intake by 25%..-That's me!..) As a side dish in a restaurant these golden gems cost a lot more than regular fries.. Why do it? and are usually over done because of their sugar content. Is the oil or fat being used even clean? The cancer causing compound called acrylamides can result in foods cooked at high heat with unsuitably low smoke point oils that might be old (rancid) and burn. Budgeting for take out food requires a bit of advanced planning but is worth the trouble to save. Simple and clean is all it takes.
Though freezing egg salad sandwiches is frowned upon, I have always done it. Egg whites can be rubbery tasting when frozen then thawed. I have not experienced this phenoemom. Use a fine grind, for the hard boiled eggs ...Grate eggs on finest grind. Use mayo, salt and pepper hot sauce, diced dill weed?. Do not add other ingredients that might make sandwich soggy upon defrosting. Allow sandwich to thaw in bag or on plate till ready to yum. Eat celery with the sandwiches rather then in them. Crispier that way.
A frozen sandwich is its own freezer pack and remains cold till thawed. Keep an eye on the thawing process. Use thermal bags with thickest padding. Bacteria can multiply without warning on a warm summer's day. Tuna, salmon chicken salad, ham salad can be frozen also. Drain liquid out of cans. Sprinkle with lemon juice. I do this all thetime. Add lettuce or any other vegetable to sandwich after it has thawed. Makes sandwiches healthier, too. But use mayonnaise sparingly.
Lately I have rekindled my love of pickled hot banana peppers. In my youth, many a high school lunch time treat was a simple hot banana pepper sandwich with bologna or sliced cooked hot dogs. Not an appetizing meal for many but for me it was like dessert. When these pickles were sold out recently, I realized I could make them. I was no longer a hostage to the whims of the company's/store's inventory. How long does the customer have to wait?
I bought mini peppers – smaller versions of banana peppers. I used crushed red pepper flakes for heat, replacinge the heat missing from these cute little colorful peppers. Into each jar,- there were two - I added 1 Tbsp.coarse salt, top and bottom, sliced garlic cloves, crushed red pepper flakes, vinegar, a few stems of fresh dill. Vinegar, top and bottom coupled with olive oil, too. Cooking the peppers in water till boiling then added to jars makes for a wonderfully tasting side dish.
Finally, when losing the berries you have bought, freeze immediately or freeze when you have them fresh.In some cases I use a potao masher to make jam with sugar or maple syrup added and I decide how much. Add lemon juice/grated pulp to help in thickening and health. Common sense rules the roost.
No comments:
Post a Comment